An important centre of the Roman Catholic Church in northeastern Ontario, Saint-Anne des Pins was established as a mission by Jesuits in 1883. A log church, now the presbytery, was built to serve as a school, as well as a place of worship for the congregation and to provide a base for missionary work in Manitoulin Island, Sault Ste. Marie and settlements along the Canadian Pacific Railway. Active in community life, Sainte-Anne's played a prominent role in fostering the development of Franco-Ontarian culture in the region. It was erected a parish in 1889 and remained the only Roman Catholic congregation in Sudbury until 1917. Housed in the present structure since 1894, Sainte-Anne's continues to be active in cultural affairs.
Go back to the Business Directory
14 Beech St
Sudbury, ON P3C 1Z2